WE ARE REOPENING ON THE 4TH JULY!
With COVID 19 Restrictions easing, we are able to reopen on the 4th July. The railway staff have been busy introducing new social distancing measures to keep our passengers safe. Prior to travelling with us, please familiarise yourself with these key points:
- You do not need to book in advance. Tickets can be purchased from Heatherslaw Station.
- We have added another footpath at Etal Station to help with Social Distancing measures and both stations now have a one way system to help prevent overcrowding when queuing.
- Please note that our railway room and caravan will remain closed for the time being; we will open them once further restrictions are lifted.
- Please use card or contactless payment.
- Tickets cannot be purchased from the guard at Etal Station for the time being. Please purchase your tickets from Heatherslaw Station.
- Our timetable will be much more flexible for the time being; this will allow more time for passengers to board, and allow our staff time to disinfect the train between services. The first train will be at 10:30, on an hour and 15 minute basis.
Looking forward to seeing you soon!
The HLR Team.
We regret to say, due to Government guidance to stop the spread of Coronavirous,
The Heatherslaw Light Railway will remain closed until furter notice.
Travel on our 15 inch gauge railway, pulled by our steam locomotives “Bunty” and “Lady Augusta” or our diesel engine “Binky” between Heatherslaw Station and Etal Castle on a return journey of 4 miles. Our rolling stock offers a choice of fully enclosed or partly glazed coaches to keep you dry, even on the wettest days. There are two wheelchair compartments provided for disabled passengers and the Guard is always on hand to help with boarding.
There is free parking available at Heatherslaw Station and Etal Castle. You are welcome to board the train at Etal Station; return tickets can be purchased from the Guard using a cash only service. A credit or debit card facility is available at the Heatherslaw Station Ticket Office.
The Railway runs along the banks of the River Till giving you stunning views of the Northumberland countryside. You also have the opportunity to spot some of the local wildlife that live on the riverbank, including swans, herons, ducks and even the occasional otter!
Why not break your journey at Etal Station and visit Etal Castle, or walk the short distance up to Etal Village with its thatched cottages and pub, or visit the Lavender Tearoom for refreshments, before catching a later train back to Heatherslaw.
On your return to Heatherslaw Station you are welcome to browse in the Ticket Office gift shop, or climb the stairs up to the Model Railway Room to view our “G” gauge layout. Press the red button to make the trains work. A short walk across the footbridge takes you to Ford and Etal Visitor centre and the working watermill, Heatherslaw Mill. The Heatherslaw Tearoom is also available to provide refreshments. There are toilet facilities near the visitor centre at Heatherslaw Mill and also at Etal Castle.
There are special rates available for school parties and coach tours. Please make enquiries regarding parties, train times and booking information at the Ticket Office on 01890 820244 (9am-5pm). For any other enquiries please call 01890 820317 (9am-5pm).
The management and staff thank you for your support and look forward to welcoming you to the Heatherslaw Light Railway.